Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Finishing My UFO's

Well, that's the goal for this year anyway.  I know I'll get distracted by new patterns, sew alongs and swaps, but I'm determined to get some of these been-sitting-in-the-to-do-pile-forever projects out of my sewing area. 

First up is this scrap quilt.  It's not quite a twin, but larger than a lap-size.  I just think a quilt should be able to go around you when you're cuddled up reading.  This one finally was handed over to my younger sister (I'm pretty sure she thought I'd never get the binding on.) at the beginning of 2012.  I used denim upcycled from old jeans and homespun plaid scraps with the brushed side out so it feels like flannel.  The batting is Warm and Natural.  I used some Kona (sorry, can't remember which yellow) for the binding.  I knew I'd be quilting this monster myself so I used a lovely lavendar colored sheet (I'm sure there's a long-arm quilter out there cringing right now) for the backing.  This is one very durable quilt. 

I admit, I put it back in the "pile" because I was not happy with the quilting.  Probably my second free-motion attempt ever and I really should have had a bigger space to work because the quilt is heavier from the use of denim and it just kept sliding off the small table and pulling while I was trying to quilt.  VERY frustrating.  Anywho, I was going for something that looked like water on the beach as a wave pulls out because the colors of the homespun reminded me of some of the soft colors on shells.  Probably missed that mark by a mile, but, hey, there it is, right?

So what does a quilt like this cost.  Well, the denim was free as I used old jeans I already had, the homespun I got at a garage sale for $2 a pound from a lady who used to be a quilt shop owner, bought the Kona at 40% off and the sheet was on sale for around $6.  Add that to the batting and thread (both bought on sale) and I think this total quilt cost me around $30.

Another little UFO I found sitting around was this small quilt.  I'd say it's a small lap quilt or maybe a large crib size.  (I've got to start measuring these before I hand them over, because it is kind of tough to get them to hand the quilt back!) 

Made entirely of leftover scraps of minky (which I count as free seems I had to buy them already for another project) and some flannel scraps bought at the $2/pound garage sale.  Originally, I'd planned to using batting and flannel, but the quilt sandwich just didn't have the snuggly drapey-ness I wanted, so...I found one of those 60x60 cuddle blankets you can find in stores like Fred Meyer in orange.  Perfect!  I just cut the edging off and then attached it to my quilt top pillowcase style.  It's so thick I didn't need any sort of batting layer and the weight of both the backing and quilt top combined with the fabric textures keeps the layers together on a quilt this small so I didn't need any quilting or tying to hold it together.  Topstitching around the edge completed this very bright beauty.  It is totally cuddle-ready.  My older sister claimed this one.  Drat.

So there's two down, woohoo!  I've got some more small lap/kid-sized quilts I'm still attaching rows for, but the pile has gone down....a little.

Finishing My UFO'sSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...