I chose an applique from a Piece O' Cake book. I used Kona in Bahama Blue for the background and a mix of prints for the flowers. The design was machine appliqued after fusing with some Steam A Seam. Here it is prior to quilting.
I chose to quilt the mug rug with some lovely white metallic Sulky thread that I've had for awhile now (paid an outrageous $14 for the spool, but it is so gorgeous!) and just been waiting to try out. Sadly, you can't really see the sparkle of the thread in the photo. I used some navy bias tape to bind the whole thing. You'll probably notice the lack of mitered corners. I started off to do a traditional mitered style binding, but the corners just looked weird--perhaps due to all the different angles already in the design. So, I tried a frame style binding and that just looked right. I guess, sometimes you just have to go with it, even if it doesn't make sense.
To complete this cheerful little mug rug, I used some bright floral fabric for the back. I like how it is vibrant and visually interesting without hiding the quilting too much.
I included two pin toppers for my partner to enjoy--a little owl and a bluebird. These were made by my very talented sister.
I can't tell you who my partner is, but I can say she's an international partner. That made it tough to pick out extra goodies, because I had to watch the weight of the package. I ended up cutting out the yummies and stuck with just the essentials--the mug rug, two pin toppers and the newest Quiltmaker's 100 blocks magazine (Volume 3). I hope everything makes it through customs and shipping alright.
So there it is--my first swap after being sick. I hope my partner likes it.