Friday, May 20, 2011

Mug Rug Swap 2011

I decided I needed a bit of a break from quilt blocks--so, I decided to add a swap to the mix.  Just in time, the Scrappy Mug Rug Swap started a new round.

I chose an applique from a Piece O' Cake book.  I used Kona in Bahama Blue for the background and a mix of prints for the flowers.  The design was machine appliqued after fusing with some Steam A Seam.  Here it is prior to quilting.


I chose to quilt the mug rug with some lovely white metallic Sulky thread that I've had for awhile now (paid an outrageous $14 for the spool, but it is so gorgeous!) and just been waiting to try out.  Sadly, you can't really see the sparkle of the thread in the photo.  I used some navy bias tape to bind the whole thing.  You'll probably notice the lack of mitered corners.  I started off to do a traditional mitered style binding, but the corners just looked weird--perhaps due to all the different angles already in the design.  So, I tried a frame style binding and that just looked right.  I guess, sometimes you just have to go with it, even if it doesn't make sense.


To complete this cheerful little mug rug, I used some bright floral fabric for the back.  I like how it is vibrant and visually interesting without hiding the quilting too much.


I included two pin toppers for my partner to enjoy--a little owl and a bluebird.  These were made by my very talented sister.


I can't tell you who my partner is, but I can say she's an international partner.  That made it tough to pick out extra goodies, because I had to watch the weight of the package.  I ended up cutting out the yummies and stuck with just the essentials--the mug rug, two pin toppers and the newest Quiltmaker's 100 blocks magazine (Volume 3).  I hope everything makes it through customs and shipping alright.


So there it is--my first swap after being sick.  I hope my partner likes it.
Mug Rug Swap 2011SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...