Saturday, September 4, 2010

DQS9 Update

Just a few pics to quickly update you on my Doll Quilt Swap 9 quilt--and then its back to work for me!

Here it is with all the pieces fused down and ready for stitching:


Then I stiched everything down with a simple straight stitch in matching thread but it just didn't seem to really pop.  So...I  went over everthing again with black thread which gave what I was looking for.  (Kind of like when an artist adds outlining to a drawing.)  Doing this did have the unfortunate effect of causing some of my stitching to be a bit wonky, but on the whole it's good and hopefully my partner will overlook its flaws.



It's a bit wrinkled looking from all the handling as I moved the quilt around for stitching around all those little leaves.  I'm not yet very good at free-motion stitching, so I just used a regular applique foot and worked slowly. 

For the back I used Kona Coal with a wide strip of some Westminster Fibers fabric I won in a blog giveaway (more on that when I get a chance to actually catch up with blogging).  You can see the stitching from the applique as I did sandwich all the layers prior to stitching--this way the stitching acts as quilting and gives a nice little puff to the applique helping it to stand out more.



All in all, I think its turning out well.   That's all for now--more pics when the quilting and binding are done, but right now its work, work, work to get it finished and mailed with goodies by the 8th!
DQS9 UpdateSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for commenting on my blog so I could come find yours. I love how your doll quilt is coming together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely adorable! What's not to love?
    Did you design the tree shape yourself?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...