Here it is with all the pieces fused down and ready for stitching:
Then I stiched everything down with a simple straight stitch in matching thread but it just didn't seem to really pop. So...I went over everthing again with black thread which gave what I was looking for. (Kind of like when an artist adds outlining to a drawing.) Doing this did have the unfortunate effect of causing some of my stitching to be a bit wonky, but on the whole it's good and hopefully my partner will overlook its flaws.
It's a bit wrinkled looking from all the handling as I moved the quilt around for stitching around all those little leaves. I'm not yet very good at free-motion stitching, so I just used a regular applique foot and worked slowly.
For the back I used Kona Coal with a wide strip of some Westminster Fibers fabric I won in a blog giveaway (more on that when I get a chance to actually catch up with blogging). You can see the stitching from the applique as I did sandwich all the layers prior to stitching--this way the stitching acts as quilting and gives a nice little puff to the applique helping it to stand out more.
All in all, I think its turning out well. That's all for now--more pics when the quilting and binding are done, but right now its work, work, work to get it finished and mailed with goodies by the 8th!