Another request for flying geese quilt blocks--this time with some color! In my Sew Buzzy quilting group, Melinda (quirky granola girl) asked us to make her flying geese blocks--our choice--using her gray fabric as the background and the various colors for the geese. She sent a lovely assortment of blues, greens, yellows and oranges. Because one of our group members went MIA on us, I decided to make her two, so she wouldn't lose a block to someone else's failure. (Don't worry, we found a great replacement--although we are still waiting for the MIA member to return 3 months worth of blocks/fabric. Not cool!)
My first block is from the pattern Tradewinds found on Quilter's Cache (an excellent source of free block patterns, BTW). I actually drew it in EQ6 (Electric Quilt 6) so that I could play with colorings as all of the pieces sent were smaller, so I needed to plan out where I put each fabric in the block. (You could do the same basic thing with graph paper if you didn't have the software.)
The second block I chose was the Starshine pattern, also from Quilter's Cache. I did add some fabric, the yellow, from my own stash simply because at this point I didn't have enough of one color for all the needed parts (Melinda was only expecting one block after all). I chose a yellow that had tones coordinating with the other yellows she had sent. I also ended up adding a thin gray border because the block printed out to only 11.5 inches instead of the 12.5 inches, despite setting the print choice to 100%--sometimes printers are just obnoxious. This one didn't have a 1 inch square on it to check measurements, so I didn't know this until it was finished, grr.
I really liked these colors together, and I admit, the gray trend is slowly growing on me. Both blocks ended up looking pretty good, although, I would not recommend them for beginning paper-piecers, particularly the Starshine block.
Patty's Tea Towel Finish
2 months ago