Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Lulu the Elephant and a String Block

Just a little peek at some of the things I've been working on...

For April, Deanna (aka Spongebobette), a member of Bee White Black, requested a string block.  She asked us to use the solid gray for the center string and then towards the centers use the red solid.  The red was to be lined up as closely as possible.  This was harder than it would seem as the strips of fabric are different widths, so you have to plan carefully to get near the same point for sewing on the red!  Each square of is 6.5 inches, making a 12.5 inch block when sewn together.

I like the bold red in the center!


I also completed this little elephant softie for my younger sister's birthday.  (I don't know what she'll name it, but we'll just call her Lulu for now.)  Lulu is made from an upcycled dress that was one of my sister's favorites.  In fact, I did a makeover on the dress once changing it from a V-neck swing dress to a cross-over faux wrap A-line dress with white piping down the overlap while also widening it at the waist.  I think she wanted to try and remake it again when that didn't fit, but I wasn't game so the dress went into the thrift shop pile.  Later, I got to thinking about it and snuck it out of the pile for repurposing into the elephant.  I've been hiding this for almost a year now!

Lulu goes well with the miniature quilt on my wall, hmm... just kidding!

Lulu is made from Simplicity 2613 like Marvin.  She's sporting a lovely 1 inch wide white satin ribbon.  Don't you love the flower around her eye?  Yeah, that's the power of fussy cutting!

Lulu the Elephant and a String BlockSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...